Learn About Camp Counselor Positions
We hire staff for many different positions each summer. Salary is commensurate with skills and experience and includes room and board plus a travel stipend. We also offer certification courses such as First Aid, CPR, Lifeguard, Water Safety Instructor, Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder.
Internship supervision is also available for school credit.
- Counselor: Counselor positions are available to applicants who has completed at least one year of college or equivalent and have a skill to share or teach. Counselors will be responsible for a cabin group of six to ten campers (with the help of two to three other co-counselors). Counselor responsibilities also include teaching or assisting in one or more of our activity program areas.
- Trip Counselor: Trip Counselor positions are available for applicants interested in leading off-site backpacking, canoeing or biking trips ranging in length from two to seven days. Trip counselors work with campers age 10 to 13 and help teach them basic skills necessary to feel comfortable and safe in the backcountry. Applicants should have basic wilderness skills and a desire to share their love of the outdoors. For more information about Trip Leader positions, please see our Adventure Staff page.
- Extended Trip Leader: Extended Trip Leader positions are available to applicants with previous backcountry trip-leading experience or extensive wilderness experience. Responsibilities include co-leading one of our multi-week wilderness programs out of camp. Due to insurance restrictions, Extended Trip Leaders are typically at least 21 years of age. For more information about Extended Trip Leader positions, please see our Adventure Staff page.
- Activity Specialist: As an activity specialist, you will be in charge of one activity area at camp. Activity specialists have a strong background in their activity. Responsibilities include instruction and lesson planning, equipment management, and general safety and oversight of campers and staff in your activity area. Specialist positions are available in the following activity areas: Arts & Crafts, Blacksmithing, Canoeing, Horseback, Pottery, Rock Climbing, Sailing, Swimming, Videography, and Trip Planning.
- Leadership Team: Positions are available to applicants with previous camp or management experience. Responsibilities include supervising staff and campers and working as part of a leadership team to ensure a fun, safe and successful summer for everyone at camp. Positions include Unit Directors, Program Director, Special Program Director, Trip Director, Waterfront Director.
- Office Staff: Office staff positions are available to applicants with administrative experience and a desire to work in a summer camp setting. Office staff will be expected to assist the Office Manager and Directors with jobs as needed. Computer skills including Microsoft Office or equivalent are a plus.
- Nurse: Nursing positions are available to licensed RNs or LPNs. We have two nurses at each camp as well as a physician. Camp nurses are responsible for the general health and well-being of campers and staff throughout the summer and are on call for any medical emergencies that may arise.
- Kitchen Staff: Kitchen staff positions include Food Service Manager, Head Cooks, and Assistant Cooks. Food service experience preferred.
- Maintenance Staff: Summer maintenance staff assist our year-round facilities caretaker in general camp maintenance.
- Housekeeping Staff: Housekeeping staff are responsible for regular cleaning of some indoor facilities as well as laundry services.